Saturday, August 16, 2008

Obama the celebrity, McCain the thief?

As a photographer, I have an interest in copyright. Because I post images on the web, there's always a chance of somebody taking them without permission. It's happened a couple of times, and when I find out about it, I tend to be more than a little annoyed. (UCD found this out to their detriment when they used several of my images in their prospectus). Today I saw an interesting article over at Wired, which discusses the Ohio Republican party's unauthorised use of Jackson Browne's Running On Empty in a campaign ad. It seems that if the judge finds in his favour, there could be a large payout in the offing. For someone who is running with Law & Order and free market principles as his major policy planks, stealing somebody else's work to promote your own image when they have endorsed your opponent probably isn't the smartest move.

No comments: